Programming

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Vista isn't as bad as everyone says it is

It's much worse than that.

I've just been waiting 20 minutes for my 64-bit quad-core RAIDed desktop to boot. I think I'll just have 30 minutes of work - and almost all of that time is lost to Vista hanging and crashing. This is about the 10th time my computer has hung up like this. The only reason I go with Vista is because we use the Microsoft toolchain at work which I quite like, and I foolishly think that I'll save time by using Vista. I mean, if it's one thing an OS need to be, it's stable. The kernel seems deadlocked and resource starved. This is SP1.

Other niggles are that its safe boot won't recognise my USB keyboard (even though the BIOS does), it hung and didn't work with my Wifi card (so I had to waste money on a new one). It bugs me about UAC each time my computer boots, and the whole kernel is very unstable coming out of hibernation. Each time I reach for the reset, I know my computer will be out of action for hours whilst it verifies its RAID. Really, Linux is looming.

* Harp music and a mirage *

Steve Bulmer (no relation to the fat fuck at Microsoft) is sitting on a park bench. Suddenly a 500kg gorilla grabs him from behind and...

* More harp music *

Ah, Vista shows me a logon screen. All is well. Next time Vista plays up, I'll start having fantasies about Bill Gates and a pack of hungry wolves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home